Welcome to The Daily Question, a blog dedicated to the advancements in modern random fact gathering. A new question will be posted everyday, about almost anything, so please check back soon. Also, feel free to check out the archives, which are full of more fun facts. Have fun!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26- Science

Hello! Bonjour! Olá! Hallo! Ciao! Γειά σου! I don't know how many people have noticed the little spinning globe at the bottom of The Daily Question main page, but it is a very useful tool I am just utilizing the benefits of. Notice the orange dots scattered throughout? Those show where people have visited my blog. The flashing title is you, and any flashing title that is different from about where you are is someone else looking at the blog simultaneously. The reason I am saying all of this is that I am now proud to announce that we have international viewers! I think I know where the European dot came from, but I have no idea who looked me up in Asia. Who ever you are, thank you for your support in the global uplifting of The Daily Question, and thanks to all of those here in the "States" who read everyday also. It is daily readers whom I know are out there that give me the gumption to post everyday, regardless of the hour. (Let's just forget about Saturday for the moment.) In the spirit of this worldwide connectivity, I am going to ask a question about the Internet, which, after all, makes The Question possible. During the Cold War, the American government launched a boatload of new agencies to help get America ahead of the Russians technology-wise. Information Processing Technology Office was one such branch. (Click the link if you knew as little about IPTO as I did.) Long story short, a guy named Lawrence Roberts started a project to work on a new network (packet switching instead of circuit switching, apparently. Yet another thing I learned more about to write this post.) Anyway, on October 29, 1969-a good date to remember for a completely different reason- a connection was made using packet switching. So, for my daily question, I ask: Which two places was the connection made between?







The connection was made between UCLA and the Standford Research Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment