Welcome to The Daily Question, a blog dedicated to the advancements in modern random fact gathering. A new question will be posted everyday, about almost anything, so please check back soon. Also, feel free to check out the archives, which are full of more fun facts. Have fun!

Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 7- This Week's Peculiarity: Part 1

As this school year rounds to a close at an ever alarming rate, I can't be 100% sure of of being able to write up a question everyday. More specifically, I have a research paper due the 16th. WAIT. Before you burst into tears, I have good news! I'm pulling a Charles Dickens. No, I'm not growing mutton chops. Instead, I am going to release my paper in a few parts everyday. The rough draft is due Wednesday, so I should have it spaced out so it will be completely posted by Friday. So what is this paper about that makes it so much more important than The Question (besides the fact that it is about 25% of my grade)? Well, in it I am comparing George Washington and Ulysses Grant. Both were completely different men (as you'll find out), and yet, they both were very successful generals and presidents. What makes them similar? Well, hopefully as this saga continues, I will convince you of how this is in fact possible.

So without further ado, I give part one of my research paper:

Throughout the course of American history, a select few behemoths of men and women have forever changed the face of culture, society, and even the American way of life itself. They have been politicians, musicians, war heroes, writers and even athletes. Most have come from different lifestyles, different states, and different niches. So what brings these exclusive few into the pantheon of American greatness? In my opinion, their ability to affect the public came from their ability to effectively communicate with them. There is no better example of this than that of George Washington and Ulysses S. Grant. Both were shockingly different, yet both had successful careers as high ranking generals and then 2 term presidents. At first glance, it seems improbable that they had anything in common, but if you look just beneath the surface, you can see their two genius techniques of reaching out to the common man, through public image and social behavior.

2 comments:

  1. You are using a singular verb for a plural subject ("there is no better example".

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no better examples of this than those of George Washington and Ulysses S. Grant. How about that?

    ReplyDelete