Welcome to The Daily Question, a blog dedicated to the advancements in modern random fact gathering. A new question will be posted everyday, about almost anything, so please check back soon. Also, feel free to check out the archives, which are full of more fun facts. Have fun!

Friday, June 5, 2009

June 5- Music

Can you believe those writers at The Daily Question? 2 entire days without posts! Well, hopefully I can succeed in quelling your zero-Daily Question sadness. A few hours ago, I got back from a dance.. on a boat. All in all, it was pretty good, however, there were a few songs that no one really likes, and kind of stands in the side of the room for. Anyhow, when I was fashionably standing on the side, I thought of what question I should ask today. Then it hit me! I'm listening to MUSIC, on a BOAT! How about a question inquiring into the realm of nautical music! Back in the good ole' days, large sailing ships were controlled by sails. This method was used late into the 19th century. To control the sails, many sailors would have to pull at different ropes at the right times to get the desired speed. As you could imagine, getting dozens of people to do something perfectly in unison could be a difficult task. To help combat this problem, songs came into being that had a certain rhythm for pulling. Each job had its own beat, making the pulling completely efficient. So for my daily question I ask: What is the name of this kind of song?







The name of this genre of music is a "Sea Shanty".

3 comments:

  1. Yeah...I actually knew the right answer BEFORE I scrolled down! Does this mean I'm getting smarter, or was it just luck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack:
    "Chantey" is a more typical spelling, and avoids confusion with a small, rouch building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should read "rough". Tarfangled keyboard types what I hit and not what I want....

    ReplyDelete